Friday, January 29, 2010
I finished the body of my little red riding hood. Jeremy's boss gave me a ton of red yarn she decided she would never use, so I am using two strands at once to make this bulky, top-down jacket. I'm just expanding on the bulky shrug pattern that I made a while ago to add long sleeves and a hood.
And I finished my socks this morning. All that was left last night was the toe of the second sock, but the pain in my wrist at 10pm told me it was better to stop and pick it up again in the morning. I'm glad I listened to myself for a change.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
- He gets home 40 minutes earlier and in a better mood.
- I have learned not to swear out loud on the drive home (unlike most Kindergartners he knows).
- Dorian doesn't usually punch him in the car. (He waits until we get home for that.)
- There's less guesswork involved. (Will I get to the bus stop before the bus comes? Or will I wait there for 45 minutes before it finally arrives?)
- Less time to hang out with parents with whom I have nothing in common other than being the parent of a public school student.
- No standing in the rain for half hour stretches every week.
I think I can live with this decision.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
True, it hasn't been all bad. I did get my ring, after all. And my little brother came to visit. But people are getting me down with all their nonsense.
- I really need to get my child development book out and find out whether it is just seven year-olds in general or mine specifically that are such a pain in the ass. Add to that not knowing what to do about him and the nightmare that is the school bus, and parenting does not top my list of fun activities.
- Despite my reassurances to myself, this PTA stuff just really weighs on me. And even though part of me knows that 3 months isn't a very long time, it seems like an eternity until I can get out of this gig.
- A certain person in our family has been unwell for quite a long time, and things are looking particularly grim these days. And because of the nature of the situation, it is a very draining experience.
- Dorian's school has announced that they will be going sledding every Tuesday for the whole month of February, thereby messing up one of only 2 days a week that he goes, because of course they want drivers and chaperones for these little excursions.
- And I get to end the month with Jeremy leaving on a business trip for 4 days to floody California. At least I'm not dealing with poopy 10 month-old twins alone like that brave soul Mr. Listmaker.
You know, I learned from my nature program puppet show that chipmunks are dormant through the winter, lying on a pile of seeds they collected, waking only to take a little nibble here and there and fall back asleep. Doesn't that sound grand?
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Uncle Jack came to visit this weekend, which was a pretty momentous occasion. For one reason or another, we only got to see Jack twice in the first 3 and a half years of Dorian's life. But now, we've gotten to see him twice in less than a year. Yay for that! You see, he hadn't gotten around to mailing the boys' Xmas present so he decided it would be easier to just deliver it himself. (And it probably was, since it was a giant slot car track which has taken over the dining room.)
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Me: Oh? What was he saying?
S: Well, I couldn't hear because he was at the front of the bus. I just heard the bus driver ask his name and tell him no swearing, he'd get a write-up.
S: I'm glad I couldn't hear because he might have said some swear words I don't know which would be bad because I might say them by accident later.
M: What swear words do you know?
S: Just a few. But I don't say them. That's why I'm civil.
Monday, January 11, 2010
But then it was just my little brother asking if he could come visit this weekend! For which the answer could only be, "Of course!" I've got plans, lots of plans, to fit into a 36 hour period. Can't wait...
*Okay, so it was already after 9am and I was just pretending to be asleep so I could read in peace.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
And if I can get over being the Cowardly Lion and follow through on my resolution number 3 for this year**, I may have some big news for you all soon.