there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Be careful what you wish for

I have been heard to complain that Maryland has been getting all the snow that is rightfully Vermont's. We had the same icy inch of snow getting dirtier and dirtier for the last couple of months. And finally last week the snow came again.

And then this week, it snowed some more.

And I had been wishing for snow. Snow to sit and knit by. Snow to bake bread to. Snow to deposit the children in.

But I didn't ask for feet of snow immediately followed by inches of rain that meant I would be shovelling water. (Yes, I know snow is frozen water.) Shovelling slushy water is about ten times harder than shovelling powdery snow, even if it is less likely to blow back in your face when you fling it. And Sebastian's boots have spent a week stuck in the baseboard heater unsuccessfully trying to dry. You don't want to know how bad that smells. Swampfoot-- ugh!

Lousy winter. You done me wrong this year.

No comments: