there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thomas the (Toilet) Tank Engine

What is it about my children that if they play at either of the train tables available at the two locations of the stationery/toy/candy store in town, they have to shit? For Sebastian, that means an accident in the store and, therefore, he has not been allowed to visit either of the train tables for over a year.

I thought I would be safe taking just Dorian today to get Sebastian's teacher an end of year gift. Sebastian wanted to give her a box of chocolates, so we headed off to the store where Dorian could occupy himself with the trains while I gazed longingly at all the chocolates that were not destined to enter my mouth and chose something for the teacher instead.

Ten minutes in, I was almost ready to make my selections when from across the busy store I hear, "MOMMMMMM!!! I need to POOOOOOOOOOP!!!" And so it was that I found myself wedged into a small stall in the next-door grocery store's bathroom asking myself how it is that this happens every goddamn time.

Is it germs? Is it weird subliminal messages? Is it a bizarre Pavlovian response based on prior experiences? Or is it just my bad luck?

1 comment:

jamie said...

from what i understand, kids poop a lot. or maybe Thomas has some connection to "The Brown Note".