there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hey! I DO have my own house today, dammit! (And I'm insane.)

As of around 10:25 this morning, we are official homeowners. Well, I guess the bank technically owns the house, but let's ignore that technical shit, because our names are on the deed, not the bank's.

First, I almost had a freak out during the walk through when I realized for the umpteenth time just how much work I had to do. But, we still went downtown and signed the papers anyway. Then we came home and rounded up Christine and the crazy kids so she could see our new abode. And I realized for the umpteenth time that I actually like the house, despite how sloppy it is. It's like Britney Spears-- it could be cute if you cleaned it up a little. And I also realized the house is sturdier than I feared. The kids were running headlong into walls (prompting the admonition "watch out so the ceiling doesn't fall on your head!")-- and the walls stayed up! That is way better than I expected.

We went out for a celebratory pizza and then went to the new house (third time today, for those keeping score) to start ripping down wallpaper. The kids watched a DVD while we tore up their new room to prepare for "Utah Sky", their color choice.

Jeremy left for a concert, and the kids and I went to the farm to get our CSA share. Here comes the insanity. They had organic peaches for only 40 cents/pound. They were so cheap because they were canning quality, ie. starting to rot. Luckily, I only had $2 with me, so I didn't get into too much trouble, but as I turned on the car and looked over at my box of rotting peaches and realized I had to go home and immediately start canning them, I knew that not only am I an official homeowner, I am also an official crackpot. A very tired official crackpot.

So, I went home, canned a quart of peaches and 2 half-pints of peach butter, fed the children dinner, and then took them over to the new house (trip #4) so I could strip more wallpaper. One wall is (almost) finished. It is the longest wall. It only took about 4 man hours. Somehow, I don't think I'll be finishing the room tomorrow like I hoped.... Oh, and I forgot to feed myself in the midst of all this.

On tomorrow's docket, I will be:
  1. calling a roofer.
  2. calling about window replacement.
  3. calling to switch the phone.
  4. buying a refrigerator.
  5. going to the lake if the weather is nice.
  6. stripping wallpaper until I fall asleep standing up.

I am living the dream!

4 comments:

jamie said...

hooray! it might be little solace now, but think about how great it will be when everything is done.

and the offer stands that if you need an extra set of hands at some point, i'll be happy to come up and help and crash on (but hopefully not through) the floor.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

q said...

i am so f-ing happy for you. come september i am your little worker bee and i'll help whenever i can- promise. yippie!!

princess cortney said...

good you complain about the days being long. otherwise, how would you do all this? i am proud of you.