there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, August 15, 2008

Yes, I am a liar

I had every intention of not working on the house all day. And despite what Jeremy may have said about home renovation being crack to me, he's wrong. It's more like crank-- lots of energy, but less confusion/rage. Not that I really know about these things of course. Test my hair if you want.

Anyway, the roofer did call at 7:30am, and I did run right over. That is true. But if you can get a roofer, you take him. The good news is that everything has been tightened up, and it will be pretty easy to tear down the chimney. Have I told you about the chimney? It's in "imminent danger" of falling down and is also shifting some of the interior walls. Just a smidge. So, it needs to go. Hence, the power vent I talked to the other nice worker man about yesterday. But I was too afraid to tear down and roof over the chimney and then have the power vent not work out. So I will have to hope for another 7:30 phone call in a few weeks. At least then I will already be at the correct location and not have to scramble madly for some random clothing and a pair of flip-flops and run 2 blocks without eating any breakfast.

And while the roofers did their do, I got a lot done. The boys' room is ready to prime. I knocked down a shelf where the refrigerator will go, pulled out approx. 100 of the 1 million hooks lining the pantry walls and shelves, removed a few nails and screws, and took down the wall mounted can opener, pencil sharpener, paper towel rack and over-the-sink mirror (this should only happen in a bathroom) and the wood behind it. Then I spackled the place. Prompting me to wonder yet again if there weren't more holes than wall.

Then I took the kids to rent more of their crack (DVDs) and bought a toilet seat to replace the horrifyingly moldy padded one that they so generously left for us. And I did the grocery shopping since our diet has been about 33% decent breakfasts, 33% take out, 33% pasta and 1% chewing gum.

So, I lied. I didn't do anything fun with the kids today. And I broke my promise not to take them to the new house until Daddy came home. So hold out hope that Daddy is a better parent than I tomorrow when I clear out for the IKEA roadtrip!

No comments: