there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Monday, February 2, 2009

CSAgony

The decision I have been dreading has finally arrived, even earlier than I thought it would. I received an email today regarding the CSA we belonged to last year, inviting us to join again.

And I'm afraid we're going to have to say "no", but I feel kind of bad about it. I mostly feel bad because I was certainly one of the farmer's biggest supporters. It was her first year, I thought she was doing a fine job, but some people were giving her grief. I was perpetually reassuring her or telling her how happy we were to get such wonderful food and how excited we were for the new things we were trying. I really did enjoy the experience.

Then we bought our house. And now I have room for a big garden. I won't need all of her vegetables if everything goes according to plan and I have my own. Not to mention that my biggest draw toward that particular farm were the fruits. But they have announced that there will be no peaches, plums or cherries because of how cold January was.

And that's not the only thing that has changed for the worse. Eggs will no longer be included in the share. The discount for members buying extra items has dropped from 15% to 10%. And there isn't going to be the in-town pickup option this year.

So, I think I'm going to have to pass this time around. I'm still committed to buying from them. I will happily frequent their PYO berries and apples. But I'm going to try to strike out on my own this year.

No comments: