there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'm gonna be crabby... prepare yourself.

I'm going to preface this by saying that this post is not inspired by a certain princess' comment on the last post. I was planning to write it before I saw the comment.

I would like to say that if anyone asks me to knit anything for them or for anyone else they know, they will not be receiving anything knitted by me ever again. Ever. I am a busy woman. I think a lot of my busyness is pretty selfless. I don't have to volunteer at school, nor do I have to make a million baby hats. But I do. I do it because I like to be helpful and because I like to make other people happy.

But lately, I've been unhappy. And one of the reasons for this is that people are frigging greedy and driving me nuts. I know I should take it as a compliment that people want me to make them things. But if I want to make a hat for my cousin's baby, I will. If I want to knit you a Xmas present, I will. But if you ask me to, not only does it make me feel guilty that I don't have the time to give you the kindness you seem to want, but it makes me feel pressured to come up with something and it makes me mad. Especially since some of the requests come from people who have lost or destroyed or never thanked me for the things I have made for them in the past.

I view my knitting as not only my craft, but my art. Every blessed thing I come up with for someone is born of some sort of inspiration. Whether it is a beautiful yarn that reminds me of the recipient, or is a pattern that screams their name, the projects I come up with on my own are expressions of my love and my art. You don't have to like them, but you should know that every stitch comes from my heart. (Well, technically my fingers, but you get the gist.)

So when I hear that you want a new hat or a new scarf or think I should make something for someone I haven't spoken to in 2 years, it annoys me. It makes me feel like what I have already done isn't good enough. Or it makes me feel like I should be your personal accessory stylist instead of spreading the love around.

So here are your choices:
  1. Ask me for something and get crossed off my list. (If you don't like my work, choose this one.)
  2. Don't ask for anything and know that if you are patient, you'll get something eventually.
  3. Ask me how to knit and I will teach you how to make your very own awesomeness.
  4. Thank me genuinely for what I have given you, treat it with care, and know that you are much more likely to receive things in the future.

I love you all... but I put enough pressure on myself and I don't need y'all adding to it. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, take a deep breath! You are loved and appreciated for the many things you do! I for one admire your prolific knitting and even though I did thank you upon reciept of my beautiful blue bowl I just want you to know that it still holds a place of prominance on my desk.
k

Anonymous said...

It is an expression of appreciation of your talents that people want one of your beautifully crafted items. Not greed. You can always decline.

Hott Mama said...

I know, I know.

I have just been inundated with requests recently, and though it may seem like I am, I am NOT a knitting machine.

Anonymous said...

looks like the extra "T" is for: what makes u think i won't cut you?

oh, and will you knit me a new video game?

princess cortney said...

sorry, i certainly didn't mean; KNIT ME A FAIRY HAT!!!!" i only meant, "those hats sure are cute!" i guess it got lost in the translation from cortnese to english. sorry everyone. especially the hott mama, herself. sorry sorry sorry.