there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, February 6, 2009

A Valentine for my bigger little love

Poor Sebastian. Months ago while riding the school bus, he lost the red mittens I knit for him last winter. He was devastated. Despite my best efforts to locate them-- checking the lost and found at school, asking his bus driver-- the mittens remain lost. I told him that whoever has them now probably saw how warm they were and didn't have mittens of their own and thought it must be their lucky day when they found them. This was cold comfort. (No pun intended.)

Every once in a while, this disappointment wells up again, resulting in tears. I reassure him and remind him of all the other wonderful mittens he is fortunate to have, but the sting of this loss is strong. (I'd be lying if I said it didn't please me that he feels sad both because he loved them and because he knows how hard I worked on them.)

Most recently, he was reminded when I asked him what color pixie hat he wanted. The first response was, "Maybe dark red so that every time I wear it, I can remember my beautiful red mittens that I... [prolonged sobbing]." I was happy he decided on yellow so we could avoid having a breakdown every time he wore his hat. And yesterday he came home from school and spotted Dorian's pair on the kitchen counter and got a little too excited that I had made him another pair.

Well, won't he be pleased when he sees these next Saturday:

A robot on the left and a rocket ship on the right. (There will be when it's finished.) See the robot's little heart? And there will be a heart shaped window on the rocket ship I have designed.

I think the boy has suffered enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a good mama.

hazzardous topics said...

you ARE magic.

If I wasn't concerned about never getting another amazing knit present I'd say "I want them too".

No matter how hard I try I will be able to make anything nearly as cute.

Hott Mama said...

Thank you both.

And Ms. Hazzard, look at your last sentence. It's your sub-conscious screaming at you to have more self confidence!

q said...

these are the cutest, awsomest mittens ever!

Flapdoodle said...

not only is your heart detail awesome, I think Mr. S will totally get it and dig it the most!