there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sartorial shenanigans

Yesterday at the mall in my favorite teenager clothing shop as I tried on a coat with a "fur" hood:

Sebastian: I just love a woman such as yourself in a fur coat such as that.

And that is why he is my favorite shopping companion.

******************

Today at the library's end of summer cupcake party:

Teacher friend: You and C always have the cutest clothes. I need to go shopping with the soccer moms.

You can imagine what a knife to the gut that was. A very innocent, genuinely complimentary knife to the gut. Soccer mom!?! Just because Sebastian went to soccer camp and wants me to sign him up for the fall soccer team doesn't... mean...

[sob]

2 comments:

jamie said...

" I just love a woman such as yourself in a fur coat such as that."

seriously, where is that kid getting this stuff from? it's like a he got a copy of "The Precocious 6-Year Old Handbook" for his birthday last year.

i'll just take an additional second here to mention that the "captcha" i'm being asked to type in to verify here almost spells out "hamballs".

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Even though you do drive a minivan I do think her perception of "soccer mom" is a little skewed. Perhaps you're just a special Brattleboro version of soccer mom.
K