there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mind blown twice, VT woman struggles to recover

So, you know we are now the proud owners of RockBand2 and as such spend a lot of time playing the same songs over and over. Awesome songs they are and most of them fun to sing.

Having the lyrics written out has been an enlightening experience. I have learned that:

  • "Come out and play (Keep 'em separated)" is about gang warfare.
  • "Pretend that we're dead" is about not letting capitalist pigs walk all over you (or something).
  • some songs are just gibberish.
  • "Aqualung" is about a dirty old man.
  • there is a reason why those old Time/Life commercials only played certain, brief portions of the songs in their collections. (See: Aqualung which only had the line "Sitting on a park bench")

But none of those things blew my mind. No, it was my husband disabusing me of the notion that 2 of the songs were sung by women. First, it was "Lazy Eye" by the Silversun Pickups. "That is not a man!" I said repeatedly. I absolutely flat out refused to believe him, mystical turtle that he is and possessor of far more music knowledge than I will ever have. "Look them up," he says. So, I did an image search and pronounced indignantly, "See! There's a girl! She must sing this. She must." Well, not quite:

So, I clearly lost on that one, although when I watch him sing, it still seems wrong with a capital R.

Next came that old classic "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. This song was made for me in this game.* Guaranteed 100% every time. Or at least 99%. Either way, I was sure it must be Stevie Nicks singing. Wrong-o:



Obviously, Lindsay Buckingham singing about Stevie Nicks. Whoops. What do I know? Only that I sing like a man, I guess. A very effeminate man.

* "My Own Worst Enemy" and "Eye of the Tiger" are also tailored to my abilities. Some of the others, not so much.

5 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

I would agree that you sing like an effeminate man as we've realized that when you have to sing like a low voiced manly man, like the dude from interpol, you fail miserably unless you use your patented "ghoul" voice. and don't forget that you and ozzy are soulmates.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you would like this guy:
http://www.myspace.com/deathvessel
I still can't believe it's a guy!

Anonymous said...

A strange assortment of songs that i can actually pull off vocally:

"Pump It Up" Elvis Costello
"Baba O'Reilly" The Who
"Power of Equality" RHCP
"Simple Man" Skynnard
"Alive" Pearl Jam (arguably the funnest all around song in the game)
"Territorial Pissings" Nirvana (specifically the intro)

on a side note, looking into tix home mid-may, so brush up on ya skillz, cuz guess who plays drums almost solely on hard mode now? not cortney.

Crispin H. Glover said...

Impressive mr dustin. Mid may will be a rock band fest - i've entered the realms of expert on guitar and drums occasionally and will be ready for horsicopter mach 2.

Hott Mama said...

Dustin,
You made my goddamned weekend!
Yay!
I just wish Dr. Cortmee could come too...