there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I can't wait for tomorrow!

And not because Sebastian will go to school all day and then to Chez Flapdoodle all afternoon. And certainly not because I have a meeting about the future of the PTA to go to at lunch time. And definitely not because I have to get up early to go chop up some healthy snacks.

No. I can't wait because tomorrow... tomorrow I get to plant my seeds! In my new big garden!

[cue gospel choir singing "Oh Happy Day"]

I have the rows all ready to go. I have the seeds anxiously awaiting some soil. I have dirt under my nails. And I have a song in my heart.

There will be snow peas, and Swiss chard, and carrots, and Easter egg radishes! And later there will be tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers and melons and pumpkins... and herbs, lots of herbs! (I hope this all works out.)

And after I finished preparing the garden today, I planted my rhubarb and raspberries. I still have the blueberries to plant, maybe also tomorrow.

And while my grubby hands were patting the soil around the rhubarb, the estimate came in the mail for the fence. The cheapest one costs $500 less than the one in the middle, and the most expensive costs 3x what the cheapest one does. So I think I'll go with the cheapest-- the split rail fence. Not just to save $500, but because the slightly more expensive model would have to be painted every year or two, and that sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

3 comments:

jamie said...

how much for a big glass igloo? then you could have a greenhouse and grow plants all year long.

Anonymous said...

Keep a blanket handy to throw over the plants. We're not done with frost yet.

Mimi

Hott Mama said...

Jamie: I would have to heat the greenhouse, so that is out. It'd be nice though...

Mimi: I am only planting the frost resistant plants, so we should be good to go. If only it weren't raining. I'm the April Fool, I guess.