there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In a pickle

Yesterday I managed to throw yet another monkey wrench into my life by buying a big basket of pickling cucumbers at Walker Farm. It had become quite clear that my own cucumber vines were not planning on being productive enough for me to make pickles from my own garden and I had accepted that fact. So when I saw this half-price basket of cukes, I was tempted. And then Amanda gave me that last little bit of encouragement, and I was on my way home with more cucumbers than I thought and 3 bunches of dill. ($22) We stop at the grocery store for mustard seed, vinegar and quart jars. ($17.70)

When we got home, I put all the boys on cucumber cleaning duty and gathered the rest of the supplies.

Four hours and one emergency trip to the store for more garlic and mustard seed ($4.50) later, I was out of jars, but not out of cucumbers. There were still 7 large and 25 medium cukes mocking me from my colander and a large mixing bowl. So this morning, back I went to the store for another gallon of vinegar, another container of mustard seed, more salt, and more jars. ($19.06)


And now, I am the proud owner of

  • 6 quarts of whole dill pickles
  • 8 quarts of dill pickle spears
  • 5 quarts of dill pickle chips
  • 3 12oz jars of dill pickle chips
  • 1 pint of dill pickle chips
  • and 2 leftover cukes.

I also have a house that smells like a pickle and 3 very happy, pickle lovin' gentlemen who can't wait to crack one of those jars open. And it only cost me $63.26... And to think I could have had a massage for that price.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that the books that I brought you came in handy for all this. Congratulations.
Mom

jamie said...

awesome work, but what does a brutha have to do to get a quart of half-sours up in here?

looks like i might have to whip up a batch to bring to beach for a little head-to-head battle (the Cuklear War?).

Hott Mama said...

I don't know how to make those, brutha-in-law, so I guess you'll have to school me.