there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Conversation with the neighbors

I was on the porch, painting the bookcase I snagged for free last week. The upstairs neighbors walk up to go inside.

Neighbor: Oh, are you painting that for the boys?

Me: I don't know who it will be for yet.

N: It's blue.

M: Yes, it is.

N: That's good for boys.

M: Yes, well, I got it free from next door and I haven't decided where to put it yet.

N: I heard him on the phone saying people had taken things from their house.

M: Yeah, well this was on the sidewalk with a sign that said "Free". [I swear I didn't steal it. Christine can confirm this.] By the way, could you do me a favor and keep your garbage can outside? [They had it at the top of the stairs.] It's been pretty warm lately...

N: Sure. We've been living in Hinsdale.

M: *confusion* *continue to paint*

N: Thanks for bringing in that letter for me. It was my tickets!

M: Oh? What are you going to see?

N: Wrestling! At the [venue in NH].

M: Really?

N: I'm going to get to see Triple H!

M: That's exciting for you!

N: Yeah! Oh, and we're going to have a party tomorrow. But you probably won't notice because on 4th of July, everybody's up to the crack of dawn. See you later!

M: Bye.

1 comment:

Crispin H. Glover said...

Why would they assume two boring 30 year olds with kids would be up until the crack of dawn? Plus, I barely even heard their "party" so either I was deaf from fireworks or it was a pretty sedate affair. They are the masters of the bizarre comment.