there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pretending we're moving

All's quiet on the home-buying front, lulling me into a potentially false sense of security that we will actually be moving out of this apartment we have occupied for 4 years and 10 days now. Not that I'm counting or anything. I have spent the last few days behaving as if we have an impending move, and it's been both good and bad.

Pros to pretending we're moving:
  • It's fun to pick out a rainbow of paint colors to fantasize about.
  • I can look forward to a day with no overhead stomping. (But only if the kids are downstairs with me or asleep.)
  • I got a lot of things organized today and even found more stuff to get rid of, including 2 old sleeping bags, an incomplete set of dishes, vases that I never unpacked 4 years and 10 days ago, and Jeremy even was willing to give up a crate full of records.
  • IKEA fantasy trips are always fun to take.

Cons to pretending we're moving:

  • I have a huge list of supplies and tools to buy in order to prepare the walls for "Capri Grotto" blue paint.
  • I look around at all the stuff we have and ostensibly need and shudder to think about packing and moving it all. Even if it is just going around the corner.
  • The prospect of all this work is extremely overwhelming.
  • The amount of money we are and will be hemorrhaging for the next few months is absolutely horrifying. This will probably leave the IKEA trip in the fantasy realm instead of reality.
  • The kitchen floor that was already overdue for a mopping keeps getting spot cleaned and Jeremy and I walk around saying we'll take care of it when we move. Realistically, that will be in mid to late September. Gross.

No comments: