there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, July 18, 2008

My baby!

Sebastian announced to me this morning that he wants to go to public school in the fall. And being the dutiful mom that I am, I called the supervisory union to see what I need to do to register him. But I'm not all that excited about it.

I suspect he mostly wants to go because his friends are going. Little does he know that when his friends find out he's homeschooling, they start eyeing their parents suspiciously and wondering why they have to go to school and he doesn't.

I'm also dreading dealing with convincing the school to put him in 1st grade instead of Kindergarten. I spoke to the Kindergarten registration woman, who was supposed to call a principal for more information. Sebastian will have to be tested at our expense and visit a school psychologist to make sure he's ready. But there is such a rigid attitude toward age that they still may not allow him to do anything but Kindergarten. In which case, he will be home.

Camp has been great for him, but school is different. I really fear that he will be bored out of his mind. He's (almost) never bored at home. He's always got some big plan or project or book he's in the middle of. Sitting at a desk doing busy work is boring.

I know some of you are pretty happy to hear this news. You think homeschooling is silly or will somehow stunt their learning. I disagree. But if he wants to try school, I'll let him try.

No comments: