there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sometimes you really don't want to fit in

Yesterday, I took the boys over to the dread WalMart to get Sebastian a backpack and lunch bag to take to camp next week. Dorian's on again/off again relationship with potty training was apparently on again, resulting in a lot of misgivings on my part about whether to allow him to wear underwear to the store. His track record is not good, but I don't want to discourage him either.

We compromise with underwear covered by rubber pants and his shorts and head out. I asked him twice if he needed to use the potty. Both times he said no. And then it happened. In the sporting goods aisle he yells, "Oh, no! I'm peeing in my underpants!" Fantastic.*

I trot him off to the bathroom to discover that he has peed so much that it has seeped out of the rubber pants and soaked the shorts, too. I brought a diaper, just in case, so I put that on, but now he was also shorts-less.

And so it was that I was one of those WalMart mothers. You know, the ones with the kid (who looks too old to be in diapers) marching around wearing only a diaper, a t-shirt and sandals. And to top it off, he fished around in my bag while we were in line until he came up with some cheap, yellow plastic sunglasses Sebastian got at the dentist.

So now my pants-less, sunglasses-sporting child is parading around while I walk out with a bag full of urine soaked clothing. It's a charmed life I lead. Your envy is so justified.

*This was actually a step in the right direction for himsince he usually doesn't even notice.

3 comments:

Clockwatcher said...

At least you don't have a New Hampshire haircut.

jamie said...

to complete the look, you should have given him a large bag of Cheetos to drag around behind him and get all over his face while you occasionally yell back at him "finish your lunch!"

q said...

what the f are "rubber pants"? i wonder if they are as silly as i imagine them to be.