there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Monday, January 26, 2009

Crisis averted!

I forgot to tell y'all about this one:

Friday afternoon, as I was puttering about, I watched yet another oil delivery truck drive past my house without stopping and I thought to myself, "Hmmm... It has been a really long time with no delivery and it has been (as they say) wicked cold around here lately. I wonder how much we have left..."

I put on my boots and head down into the basement to check our handy dandy gauge which actually has numbers on it instead of some nebulous fraction and bobber system. The reading? 20 gallons remaining.

I begin to panic. It's Friday afternoon. There is yet another cold snap a-snapping at my heels. How long does 20 gallons last?! I don't know! What if I can't get a delivery? Why haven't they automatically delivered? I don't want to freeze! I really don't want to pay weekend charges for them to bleed the line if we run out! Aaaaaaaaaa!

The phone rings. It's Christine. As much as I want to talk to her, I can't pay attention because I'm freaking out and precious moments are being wasted. I pledge to call her back and call the oil company.

Me: Hi. Umm... I was supposed to be on automatic delivery, but no one has come in a long time, and now I only have 20 gallons in my tank.

Oil Company Dude: Okay, yes, you are on will-call.

Me: But, no. I am supposed to be on automatic. I need oil.

OCD: [too nonchalantly for my taste] Yeah. I'll try to get someone out there today.

Lucky for me, the delivery truck arrived within the half hour. But I unluckily had to have this conversation after 251 gallons of oil are deposited in the tank:

Driver: Are you out?

Me: [confused as I am obviously home to answer the door] What?

D: Are you out? Of oil?

Me: No. Almost. They didn't have me on automatic delivery.

D: I have nothing to do with that. [walks away]

So no one froze. Neither did the pipes. And I avoided costly repair charges for letting the tank empty. But you better believe I'll be checking again when I pay to make sure that we're on automatic delivery for the rest of the winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.