there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Monday, January 12, 2009

Little pixies

I think I have found the project which will find its way to every baby I will ever have the pleasure of welcoming to our circle of family and friends. I first saw it on SouleMama's blog last week, and while I was not particularly impressed by her color choice, I did like the overall shape. When Sebastian was a newborn, we were sent a little french pixie hat which was just about the cutest thing ever. That is, until I made this one:
Modelled here by the doll my mother brought back from Mexico for me some 25 years ago, is the most perfect little red pixie hat, if you will allow me to gloat a little. (She's the closest thing I've got to a newborn sized head around here.) Both SouleMama and the pattern picture feature variegated yarns, one blue and brown and one minty greens, but if you ask me, a pixie should really have a red hat. Or maybe bright blue or green. But mostly, red seems best. And if I'm lucky, I can get 4 of these hats from one ball of yarn. Warm baby heads all around!

2 comments:

shawn said...

i love this! i've been trying to knit again, but can't seem to remember how.

Hott Mama said...

There are lots of how-to videos out there if you need a refresher. The world needs more of your knitting!

Dorian rocks your rainbow scarf every chance he gets!