there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Too much thinking

That Beautiful Boy book is haunting me more than a little. Especially after I googled his son and found out that he has relapsed since the books came out. And while it seemed obvious that this was going to be a problem indefinitely, I didn't like being affirmed in my assumption.

So after the much appreciated assurance from the cop's wife that meth is not a problem in our town (yet), I'm feeling a little better. But after all of Mr. Sheff's hyper analysis of his own parenting and how it might relate to his son's substance abuse, I can't help but worry. Because that is what I do. I worry. And I have now had several conversations about drugs and alcohol and what is appropriate to allow a child to use or experiment with and what you should or shouldn't admit to your children about your own experiences. Hence, the much more serious than normal poll.

So, what do you think? What should you tell kids? What should you allow? What did you tell or allow? What would you have done differently with your kids? Be honest. Be anonymous if you need to. I'm just curious.

1 comment:

princess cortney said...

honestly, i never did any drugs until i was out of college. i never did because my dad was honest and said he had smoked weed and it made him sick. i do not like puking, so i never did it. when i finally tried it,i just got paranoid. now i only do it for a dollar. that's right, i make my friends pay me to smoke their weed. this is something i am sure only i could get away with, but i figure, it'll ruin my night, so i may as well get a buck or two out of it. but honesty was the best policy for me.