there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Lazy" weekend

For a change, we actually had absolutely no plans this weekend. No visitors, no birthday parties, no holidays, no urgent errands... what were we going to do with ourselves?

Well, a lot of hanging out, mostly. Saturday we took a break from the hanging out to go snowshoeing up Black Mountain, an event I hope to get the kids to blog about later. It took us almost 2 hours roundtrip and I ended up with the jelly legs. We played video games, the kids watched some Charlie & Lola, and we started reading Matilda by Roald Dahl. One chapter last night and everyone was hooked, so we have finished almost half the book today.

And after a bit of a hiatus, in which I finished another pixie hat (they're a bit addictive), I got back to work on the baby jacket. Six more rows to go, and the sleeves will be done. Then I will just have the making up and the collar to do, as well as getting and installing a zipper.

And, because we all know how fantastic my quilting skills are (ha ha), I started cutting out pieces for a new picnic quilt. I scored a bag of random gingham fabric, with some hearts and polka dots mixed in, at the thrift store a while ago for the low low price of $1. I have had in mind making a blanket for our frequent lake excursions and this batch of fabric seemed perfect. Of course, as I started cutting I was reminded of why I don't do piecework much. Namely, I apparently am incapable of cutting a straight line whether with scissors or a rotary cutter, and it's a lot of little goddamn pieces to make a big thing. We'll see where this ends up. But now that I have a table for my sewing machine, I do have a better chance of completing this project.

No comments: