there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So Busy I'm Dizzy

Well, that was a weekend!
Sebastian had a staggering 3 birthday parties to attend, one Saturday and 2 Monday. The Ape and the Clockwatcher came to visit with Arlo (seen here looking wistfully outside at the snow with Dorian). There was sledding and video gaming and chain restaurant food eating and radio show listening and gabbing. And after they headed back to NY on Monday morning, there was present wrapping and child chauffeuring.
I did also manage to do some reading, an activity woefully absent from my life in knitting season. I can't knit and read at the same time, so I mostly only keep up with the magazines in winter and save the books for summer. This arrangement does not please me much, but wool in the summer doesn't either. Anyway, I have been reading Beautiful Boy by David Scheff which is a memoir of dealing with his son's addiction. It is very well written, and therefore entirely devastating. I would also like to read his son Nic's book Tweak, but I may have to wait a little while. I have always been drawn to sordid stories of people's failings, but reading this story from the parent's perspective is heartrending. I can completely relate to the guilt, the second guessing, the denial that he experiences, but I hope that I never feel those emotions in the context he has to. It is hard to read about a child who sounds so like one of your own who grows up to be a lying, thieving drug addict. It terrifies me that this could be my future or the future of one of my friends. I'm sure it took a lot of courage to tell this story, and I imagine it would be helpful to anyone with an addict in the family. I would encourage you to read this, but I would advise a handy box of tissues.

No comments: