there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, January 3, 2009

I'm so sleepy

Yesterday, Jeremy and I left on our first date of 2009. I have been promised one per month and I am going to demand fulfillment.

Good old Mimi agreed to watch the kids overnight while Jeremy and I went up to Quechee. We started our trip in Woodstock where we wandered around and had lunch. It was an extremely cold day, so as soon as we could (3pm), we checked in to the B&B to use the jacuzzi tub. One day I will have one in my house. If only a fence and painting and a new kitchen floor weren't so pressing...
I think this was for measuring your "output" but I was too shy to try. I mean, Jeremy told me not to.
We had dinner at the inn, and it was real grown up. Except for the french fries. But they were called frites so the french makes it more adult. Can you believe that we had a date that didn't involve a teen movie and Burger King?! Our date did, however, involve a relatively pointless drive over to Poop Hampshire and back looking for something to do. We didn't find anything. So we traded in my winning lottery ticket ($10!) and bought a tabloid, a Caramello and some Sour Patch Kids and went back to the inn. Nothing like reading a tabloid in a jacuzzi. Nothing.

Then we realized that the radiator in our room was cranking full blast for almost 2 hours and we thought we might die. I didn't realize how accustomed I had become to sleeping in a 50 degree room. Eighty degrees just about killed me. (I'm assuming it was 80 because I'm afraid to think it was more than that.) I think they used our entire room fee to pay for oil.

This morning we had the lovely breakfast and headed out to a 450 vendor antique mall. I got a table which is a little rickety but was a good deal nonetheless and then we went to see the famed Quechee Gorge. The woman at the info desk said we didn't need our snowshoes, so we started down the path in our boots. What was a well packed path suddenly devolved into a few footsteps through the snow. This seemed weird to me but Jeremy insisted on continuing. Finally I felt adamant that we turn around when we had been only following some deer tracks for some time and getting closer to nowhere. We headed back to discover that we had missed a switchback, then got back on the trail and saw the gorge. It's a big hole.
We finally got back to our car and I was exhausted. Somehow, Jeremy and I are completely incapable of taking a little hike without either getting lost or getting caught in a rainstorm. This, luckily, never happens when the kids are with us, but leave us to our own devices and we end up on the verge of requiring a search and rescue team.
After that little adventure, we headed back into town to check out a glassblowing/pottery studio called Simon Pearce. It's some kind of big deal. You can tell because everything is really expensive and most of the people who shop there wear ironed jeans and furry boots. They supposedly have a fantastic restaurant, but my exhaustion combined with old-rich-people overload necessitated a quick departure. But not before we enjoyed the waterfall.

We finished our trip with a visit to the Harpoon Brewery beer garden for lunch. Then I fell asleep in the car. And I'm still tired.

1 comment:

princess cortney said...

do you think you could make a date to come here. we will show you a good time, and we could watch the boys for an overnight, if you and jeremy needed a break. that would be a dream come true--for me. i'll start planning/dreaming.