there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Eve Eve

What I learned today:
  1. Diane is quite capable of hosting a low key Christmas. It was perfect. Thanks again.
  2. We received a special box to keep our eggs in while camping so they don't break. The Americans call it an "egg carrier." The Spanish speaking call it a "portahuevo." The French call it a "cassot." Why do the French have a special word just for this?
  3. I can eat just one slice of buche de noel and be a much happier person than when I have two.
  4. Nothing will EVER make Sebastian happier than when he opened his copy of Animusic 2.
  5. Despite not being in the least bit religious, I really love the true Christmas carols best. Rudolph and Frosty are fine, but "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Oh Holy Night" are so stirring. (Maybe I just like songs that start with "O"...) The one secular Xmas song that I find truly touching is John McCutcheon's "Christmas in the Trenches" which sings the story of British and German soldiers celebrating Christmas together during WWI. One more thing to make me misty eyed this season.

What I'd like to learn today:
Which three of you "always" re-gift, so I can stop shopping for you, you picky people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're quite welcome. It was my pleasure. Thanks again for coming. It was a great day.

Diane

Clockwatcher said...

I'm an "often" re-gifter.