there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Monday, December 17, 2007

Winter in VT, part 2

We have had a lot of snow.
A lot of snow.
As you may recall, I needed to have my windshield replaced, and the appointment was scheduled for Thursday at noon. Around 11:30, it started snowing, postponing my appointment to Friday and spoiling our plans for a last group dinner with Dustin and Cortney and Rob and Quinn. Boo to that. I look out the window Friday shortly before my windshield was supposed to be replaced to see... what else?... more flurries. Luckily, it was not enough to stop the repairman. New windshield! He even managed to preserve my inspection sticker. The only catch was that one window had to be cracked for 24 hours so that when the door closed the pressure wouldn't break the windshield again. So, I opened one of the rear vent windows and vowed to close it Saturday afternoon after picking up the Xmas tree. Did I remember? Of course not. So, the Sunday snowstorm rolls through, and I go out in the morning to do the first round of shoveling. There is now a snowdrift in the backseat of the minivan. As I am trying to brush the snow out, more is blowing in. I'm so clever.
I'm not really sure what the official totals for the area are, but yesterday we probably got somewhere in the neighborhood of a foot of snow. That is my 43" tall son with snow literally up to his neck. And that hole is not dug out all the way to the grass.
And winter doesn't officially start until the end of the week.

No comments: