there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, December 14, 2007

Little pitchers

I'm in a little smidgen of trouble now, due to a certain nosy, 5 year old eavesdropper living in my house. (Not that I was ever one of those, mind you.) I was speaking in a hushed voice, in another room, while the little darling was engrossed in something, but apparently that is not enough. So, he heard me talking to a friend about how the woman who runs the playgroup we go to is terribly passive-aggressive. Almost every time we go, she says to Dorian things like, "Did Mommy forget your hat?" (No, it's 65 degrees and sunny outside.) or "Didn't Mommy bring the stroller inside to warm up so your bottom wouldn't get cold?" (It's a huge jog stroller, so, NO.) She is saying this to a 2 year old, but obviously directed at me. I am secure in my ability to parent. In my humble opinion, I have two happy, healthy, well-adjusted little monkeys who are doing just fine, thank you very much. What I don't appreciate is that she never says these things to me directly and I don't like that she is using a small child to get her misguided point across.
Anyway, Sebastian overheard this discussion. I was trying to figure out, this morning, when I would be able to bring the kids in to Daddy's work to visit the co-workers and make our family's donation to the food drive there. So, I asked Sebastian whether he wanted to go to playgroup on Tuesday, as that seemed like the best thing to skip of the activities we had planned. He said he didn't want to go there anymore because of this woman. But really it's about what he overheard me say about her behavior, because she is nothing but nice to them as children.
So, I guess I'm going to have to be even more careful about what I say within a 5 mile radius of him. I'd use pig Latin, but the boy's too quick. Amanda, we need a secret code!

No comments: