there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, November 14, 2008

46 hours, 34 minutes later...

I finally beat The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess last night! Thank goodness that's done!

I have to say this one is only slightly higher than the second Zelda game in my ranking. If you ever played The Adventures of Link you know how bad that game was. I beat the first Zelda probably 6 or 7 times, I loved it so much. The second was a stinker. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were great and I spent years anticipating this most recent installment. It tore me up inside that we couldn't get a Wii sooner so I could play this game.

I guess it was a case of "Be careful what you wish for" because I hated Twilight Princess with a passion for the entire first half. Jeremy continually admonished me to just stop playing. "Why are you doing this to yourself?" he would ask. Why? Why?! Because I waited so long for this game, that's why. And I wanted it to be so much better than it was.

The entire first half was just fighting. That is not what I buy Zelda games for. I buy them for the awesome logic puzzle aspect. In Princess, you are not allowed to wander around, there are no little tasks to achieve, you just fight, fight, fight for about 16 hours. That is too long.

Once that horrible beginning is completed, the game returns to the traditional Zelda model, but by then I was too mad to appreciate much. There were some challenging new puzzles and some cool new gadgets, like the spinner and the double grappling hooks, but overall I was underwhelmed.

The controls were unwieldy. For example, 90% of the time, if you wanted to back out of a screen, you would push B. However, the other 10% of the time, if you pushed B you would end up equipping or using a piece of equipment you didn't intend to use. There was a lot of that kind of irritation. And this is kind of a general Wii complaint that applies to this game: there is not enough enjoyable use of the motion technology the Wii could deliver.

The graphics were okay, but much better for the evil characters than the good ones. That Link looked like an empty-headed dope. And his girlfriend was worse. I was not a fan of the plastic hair look.

I'm not sorry I played it, but boy am I glad it's over! At least it didn't take me the extra 8 hours Jeremy spent on it. On to Super Paper Mario!

1 comment:

Crispin H. Glover said...

You forgot to mention the WindWaker which in retrospect may be my favorite. The graphics on that one are by far my favorite and for some reason i couldn't get enough of just sailing around aimlessly. I agree that the "realistic" graphics left something to be desired. Let's hope that once again the pendulum swings back before the next installment and we get more nonstop puzzle mania and a vibrant, cartoony look. it's elves and fairy folk for christ sake not grand theft auto 5: Hyrule Hijacking Hijinx.