there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The honeycomb hat

I had this idea for a honeycomb hat after doing a section in that stitch for my blanket. I decided it would make a nice birthday present for Dorian and found some bee buttons. Then we went to the yarn store yesterday, and when we got home I just couldn't stop until it was done. It was a design I just had to get out of my system. It was kind of a pain in the butt because the alpaca yarn I was using was so soft the stitches kept slipping off the double-pointed needles. But it turned out the way I had envisioned in my fevered mind, so it was worth it.

And, of course, I was too impatient to save it for 9 days, so I gave it to him this morning.


There are consistent honeycombs around the bottom that fade irregularly to the crown, and two little bees bring pollen back to the hive.

And this morning, I started on Sebastian's present, the pink kitty named Kiki. He picked out the yarn himself. It is mostly acrylic and extremely pink and nothing I would have chosen. But it is his kitty. At least I have design control otherwise...

1 comment:

hazzardous topics said...

Girl that is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Cuter than a basket full of kittens. I need to comission you.