there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, May 30, 2008

Another one bites the dust... and covers my children in it

We went to see another house. Another house that is out of the question. This one, at least, had a lot of potential. But the 3 bedrooms upstairs were all versions of what you see in the picture. One had these cars pasted to the wall. One had the words "F*** you" in cursive and circled repeatedly. And the last had a ceiling that was caving in. Basically, the entire upstairs needed to be gutted and re-sheet rocked and painted before we could even consider moving in. For some reason, exposing my children to decades old, flaking lead paint is unappealing.
The downstairs was only marginally better. The laundry room, bathroom and dining room were livable. But the living room was filthy and disgusting and the kitchen would have to be painted before I would even think about putting my food in it.
It did have a workshop off the kitchen, that if you finished, would be a nice extra space in the future. It had a nice sized yard for a garden and room for the kids. It had plenty of space for our family.
BUT
It is right around the corner from us. In the neighborhood I desperately want to leave. And I tried to convince myself that it was different around the corner. There aren't any houses across the street from that house, therefore less neighbors. But there is a weird little trailer type house behind it that I am wary of because there is a heap of trash outside it at all times and I often hear yelling when we walk by. And while the real estate agent and I were standing outside discussing the situation, we could hear someone's phone ringing repeatedly at top volume and some dummy with a sideways cap came running out of the little trailer house and trailing a cloud of cologne, yelling, "Yo! Yo! Yo!" and jumped into a car booming loud music. This is exactly what I am trying to get away from.
So the search continues. There is only one property left that I haven't been inside. It is in the town with the nuclear power plant. And the fire department is right across the street. God help me.

No comments: