there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, May 9, 2008

Sticking my toe in

I did it. I finally took the first real step toward home ownership today. Looking at houses does not count. Anyone with eyes can look at a house. I could ask to go see a million dollar home, but it does not mean I could even think about purchasing it.

So today I dropped off our application for pre-approval for a mortgage. After giving them every last detail of our financial life as well as the age of my first-born child (I'm pretty sure he's part of our payment for closing costs, so I guess I can't sell him after all), I just had to walk away and hope for the best.

The woman from the mortgage company called this evening and was pleasantly surprised by our lack of debt and outrageously high credit scores and said we were exactly the kind of victims, I mean clients, they were looking for. Apparently, our very modest income didn't totally dissuade her.

Of course, why I am considering looking for a house which will most certainly cost far more than our current rent is a whole other issue.

No comments: