there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My nemesis is on his way out

O, happy day!

Yesterday, as I was being chauffeured to exercise class by a princess, I saw the best sign I've seen in a long time. The jackass who moved here from California, claimed to be committed to the neighborhood (which he calls the "hood" and it boils my blood), said he wanted "to bring a little Berkeley to Brattleboro", started the most ridiculous neighborhood organization ever, and just generally annoyed the shit out of me now has a sign in front of his house reading For Sale By Owner. This proves my theory that he was not so committed as he should be committed.

I was invited to join their listserv despite living on a side street. Then I made them all mad by (gasp!) disagreeing with some of what they were saying. This family moved from CA without ever seeing this house or the street it is on. Had they bothered to visit, they would have known that the street is one of the major arteries in town and that their house is by far the nicest on the street, which everyone knows is not the house to buy. They decide to put up a huge fuss that cars and trucks are actually allowed to, of all things, drive on the street. When I said that I didn't think 10 cars in 10 minutes was an unreasonable number, they said they didn't want people "bringing negativity" to the group and said maybe I shouldn't belong. I told them if they only wanted people who would agree with everything they said, they could go ahead and remove me from the list. They, of course, didn't have the nerve. When I saw that someone else was ranting about how she shouldn't have to leash her dogs and no one at all took issue with that, I was totally done.

And now they are leaving! Though, they will probably only be replaced by another of their ilk, foolish enough to buy a very cute house in the second worst neighborhood in town.

No comments: