there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, May 23, 2008

Sleepy DeeDee

Oh, how the mighty have fallen... asleep.

After a few months of refusing to nap, Dorian has turned into one of those children who just collapses if he sits still for too long at the end of the day.

This blurry picture was taken Tuesday. We went to the farm for our CSA share (with which we discovered the joys of rhubarb for the first time). Amanda arrived with her boys just as we were thinking about leaving. 45 minutes of chaos later, driving home, Dorian succumbs 2 minutes from our house. I roughly, but not too roughly, removed him from the car seat, trying to rouse him, but to no avail. I deposited him on the couch where Jeremy valiantly tried to wake him up an hour later and barely succeeded.

Wednesday, we did nothing very spectacular, but in the evening, as I made dinner, the kids wanted to listen to a French CD we took out of the library. This CD is pretty painful and insidious like all children's music produced with only a Casio and a children's chorus and I fall asleep with the refrain to "Madame L'araignee" on repeat in my brain every night. They, of course, both love this monstrosity and argue over who gets to hold the booklet. I had to tear myself away from the stove every 5 minutes to break up yet another of these arguments. 2 minutes after the last fight, Jeremy walks in saying, "Do you know what's going on out here?" Lord, what now? I think. Is the booklet torn? Did they spill something? No, Dorian is asleep on Sebastian.

I don't think he really wants to go back to napping. I'm not sure I even want it back. But I do think he's super cute all crashed out on the sofa.

No comments: