there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Two loves

This Spring and our CSA subscription have introduced us to a new love, rhubarb. This stuff is so delicious and so sour. We can't get enough. Well, Jeremy and Sebastian and I can't. Dorian wants nothing to do with it. More for us! So far we have had rhubarb crisp, blueberry rhubarb cobbler, rhubarb pie and rhubarb jam.

I made a batch of jam so I could send some to my Grandma in MD who turns 93 today. She apparently didn't care much for baking, but would make rhubarb pies, so I hope she enjoys this. Sebastian has been loving the jam to the point that he will even ask for a peanut butter and rhubarb sandwich. (He normally cringes at anything peanut butter related.) So today I made a second batch to keep us going for a little while. I still have enough rhubarb left for another dessert this weekend.

My other new love is Ciao Bella Gelato. The sorbetto is great, too. Last summer, Cortney and Dustin introduced us to the wonder that is their Fresh Mint and Chocolate Chip. It tastes so fresh it really is like eating a mint leaf right off the plant. I don't know how they do it, and I don't care, as long as they keep it up. Lucky for us, the co-op recently had this brand on sale. Normally, they charge $4.99/pint, but last month they were $3.49. We tried 4 more flavors: blood orange sorbetto, mango sorbetto, raspberry sorbetto and dulce de leche gelato. So good! They are all really intense and rich without being too sweet. Pure heaven. I highly recommend searching this little goodie out.

4 comments:

hazzardous topics said...

I fell in love with Ciao Bello when I was prego with the squid and living in hot steamy brooklyn. Coconut sorbet was my ab fave, but I haven't met one I didn't love.

Clockwatcher said...

The catering company I work for uses Ciao Bello for our ice cream stations/bars at weddings and mitzvahs. I'm a big fan of the blackberry cabernet and chocolate sorbet.

Moment said...

About 1/2 hr. after reading this post I came across this:
"Rhubarb contains oxalate, which can cause poisoning whenlarge quantities are ingested."
Maybe it's time to cut back on the rhubard...;)

princess cortney said...

i do love that ciao bella. thanks for giving it the shout outs. we will not only have more for you when we leave in september, but also tomorrow when you are here for the much anticipated ROCK BAND party.