there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Look, Kathrin!

Thirteen years ago, Kathrin taught me to knit. My motivation was to make socks. I wanted a pair of socks to be my first project. She was having none of that. Rightfully so. Socks are not a good first project. You need to work out the kinks on a scarf or a dishcloth or something simple.

Well, not only were they not a good first project for me, they weren't a good 2nd, 3rd, 10th or even 20th project. Thirteen years later, I am finally knitting my first pair of socks. (This is where my mother tries to pipe up and contradict.) I made my mother some socks, it is true. But they were 2 needle socks with side seams I had to sew up. They were not the real deal, knit in the round on teeny tiny needles socks.

Last night, after I finished the other project (finally!) I could allow myself to start on these socks for Dorian. They look huge, but I swear I'm following the pattern exactly this time. No fudging, no making shit up as I go along. So if they are too big, they are too big. But you and I both know how that child can grow.

The best part of this whole project is that I finally get to use self-striping yarn. Even a basic stockinette stitch is thrilling when the color changes all by itself every once in a while. And knowing that I don't have to weave in a million ends to have a fancy pattern... it makes my heart skip a beat!

3 comments:

q said...

i saw that picture and thought you had taught little Dede to knit and that was his project! i know it is only a matter of time!

Clockwatcher said...

Self-striping yarn is the best!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you - the socks are wonderful.