there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Crazy times!

I know this post has been a long time coming. You can thank Fairpoint Communications and their uselessness for that. They hooked up our phone at the new house, but decided to install our internet service at the old apartment. Clever, huh?

Anyway, in the space of the last week we moved in to the new house, valiantly tried to put things away, packed Sebastian off to 1st grade at the school across town, and then went camping Labor Day weekend with my cousin and her boyfriend-- all of which seems like too much for one week and it probably was. But we're all fine.

Sebastian making an odd face the first morning of school.

Dorian jumping for joy at the thought of Sebastian leaving. I really thought he would be more upset, but today I said, "Dorian, it's nice hanging out with just you." He said, "Yeah, I love Sebastian to go away." I had a brother, too, so I can understand.

Sebastian is clapping for the approaching bus.

I will say this about Sebastian going to public school: The administrators were a complete pain in my neck, and I was prepared to be very disappointed to have him go to school across town. But I got the chance to visit his class the day before school started and it seemed great for him. There was a whole library's worth of books in the room, it's a mixed 1st and 2nd grade class, they have a schedule that allows plenty of time for each topic, the teacher was nice, and they have a healthy snack program run by our food co-op. He already has a 2nd grade girlfriend named Brittney who brought him a bouquet on the second day. He is loving riding the bus. And I'm very happy for him.

Stay tuned for more photo updates featuring the house in all its dilapidated glory!

No comments: