there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The garden

I've been working hard on the garden when I have a spare minute. I still have a long way to go, but I have accomplished a lot. This bed was a heap of weeds with a big clump of sedums and some echinacea hidden inside. It is now mostly cleared out and neatened up and I added the lavender asters at the foreground and some allysum for some fall color. Yesterday evening Sebastian helped add some anemone and tulip bulbs to the bed for some spring color next year.
Here's a close-up of the sedums growing at the edge of the foundation. Aren't they cute?
Dorian and I weeded this bed yesterday morning. It was a 2 hour hoeing project (that's what she said) which left me with a giant blister you are lucky I didn't photograph. I salvaged some of the debris from our basement for the border. The border for the bed at the top came solely from old roof slates and rocks found in the garden itself. Dorian and I planted tulips and anemones near that sad little lily clump up against the house. We also planted 2 allium bulbs which Dorian insisted on buying. When they bloom next year, they will be as tall as he is now.
These are a little more fall color next to the front steps. Christine gave me the little rose bush, and I used a gift certificate from Amanda for these other 3 perennials and the aster shown above.
Next comes this disaster... But I need the blister to heal first.

No comments: