there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

No need to worry

Just because Sebastian was getting hit on the bus yesterday for the second time in less than 2 weeks is no cause for concern. You know why? That kid is tough as nails. Not what I was expecting from my cries-over-literal-spilled-milk boy, but true nonetheless.

So yesterday, these bigger boys (probably 4th graders) were picking on Sebastian. They called him stupid (umm... wrong) and told him that even his mother doesn't like him. His response? "You don't know my mother." He told those boys what was what. So... they hit him on the head repeatedly. Did he cry? No. His friend piped up that he had better stop talking to them or he'd "have to go to the hospital with a bloody face."

A girl across the aisle said, "I'm going to tell on you" to Sebastian. He said to her, "Well, I have had enough of them, so if you're going to tell on someone, tell on them." She said she wouldn't because the bully was her brother.

What nerve on my boy! At his age, I imagine I would have been cowering, but not Sebastian. I do recall yelling through a flood of blood from my nose after being punched in my one and only fist fight "I will persevere!" (It was one of our vocabulary words at the time.) So maybe his mouthiness does come from me. Okay, it probably does.

When he told Jeremy what happened he said, "I really sat my ground."

Jeremy: You mean "stood" your ground.

Sebastian: No, you're not allowed to stand on the bus.

2 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

While this deeply depresses me on one hand (for him, for the state of american youth) I will say it's encouraging to hear about his amazing reactions to this nonsense. It must be that his strong sense of moral justice blended with his otherworldy, head in the clouds attitude combines perfectly to make the ideal mix of inner strength and a state of being that is out of touch with reality.

Listmaker said...

wow, what hooligans in vermont! who knew? crazy. 4th graders picking on a 1st grader? losers.