there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Garden report

Yesterday evening, I took my pruning shears and decided to tackle the mess next to our driveway. I could see a rhododendron peeking out from underneath a tangle of vines, so I set to work. I pruned. And I cut. And I untangled. And I wrestled. And I yanked. And I pruned some more. And I had the above pile of vines to show for it. It, as you can see, is as large as a bush itself.

Underneath were these:

On the left is a large rhododendron. It appears to have a lot of buds, so it should bloom in the spring now that it isn't being choked to death. And on the right is a rose bush. I'm hoping that if I cut it back in the spring that it will bloom again. Our neighbor told me she thought it used to have beautiful pink flowers.
I also decided to harvest the quince on the overgrown quince bush out front. Obviously, I was a little optimistic. Again, I'm hoping that with some pruning it will flourish next year.

Dorian and I have also gone a little bulb crazy. We bought two more packages yesterday. Dorian picked "Rosy Sunshine" daffodils and I got Mediterranean bells. Spring should be exciting!

No comments: