there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, February 23, 2008

How much sleeping will there actually be...

when Sebastian has his friend Lydia over for a sleepover tonight? Let's hope lots.

Call me crazy. Crazy for entertaining the idea of having another (almost) 5 year old overnight. Crazy for being excited about it. Crazy for feeling so lonelyeeeee... No, wait. No Patsy Cline.

Having sleepovers is one of those things I wish I'd had more opportunity for when I was growing up. During my prime late elementary school age sleepover time, we were living with another family and for a variety of reasons it was not really feasible for me to host a guest. Then I was a complete loner bookworm in my middle school days. In high school, I had a handful. But overall, it's one of those things I now look back and wish I'd done more of, like riding more roller coasters before my crippling case of motion sickness developed.

I started thinking back in November when he turned 5 that Sebastian was probably about ready. His best boy friend is not the best candidate for staying here. Even though he has been to our house a million times since he and Sebastian were toddlers, he definitely requires a larger time for adjustment to new situations. Sebastian, I know, would love to stay at Riley's house which is also Sebastian's dream house. If I have to hear again how I need to buy a house with 3 bathrooms... (I think we all know I have a hard enough time keeping one clean.)

So, I had suggested to Lydia's mom that we would love to have Lydia stay over with us, seeing that she is Sebastian's best girl friend and all. But Lydia was a little thrown by the idea that her parents wouldn't be sleeping over also. As fun as that would be, it really isn't the point. Then, I told Christine that she and Steven had to let me babysit Lydia. They need to have a date. I was not going to take no for an answer. And the next thing I knew Lydia was asking if she could spend the night here instead of my coming over there to keep her company. Of course, Sebastian was thrilled! We're all very excited.

We've got the new sleeping bags ready to go. Sebastian has chosen multi-colored alphabet pasta for dinner. There will be popcorn and Panda Go Panda (the source of Sebastian's old alter ego, Mimiko) for movie night. There will be squealing and giggling and silliness, and hopefully very few tears. And if all goes well, three children asleep by 9. Or at least 10. 9 would be better.

I can't tell you how inordinately happy it makes me that we get to do this. I'm excited that my little boy is getting old enough to do real kid things. I'm happy to have a home that another child feels comfortable staying in without her parents. And I'm absolutely thrilled that Christine and Steven are going to get a little of the alone time they so desperately need. How cool will it be for them to have the whole house alone-- sans the early wake up call of the small child?

Tomorrow morning I may have a different opinion on this matter. But for now, I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm glad you found something to be so happy and positive about after your post from two days ago!
Have fun!
K

princess cortney said...

i want to know how it went. and if it was fun, can i spend the night with sebastian in may? i like rainbow alphabet pasta and popcorn. and surely dust needs a night a lone? what do you think?