there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, February 1, 2008

Tastiest little larvae I ever ate

Wednesday I decided to try out the kamut berries, and why not foist them upon Rob and Quinn in the process? Granted, I only soaked them for 3 hours as opposed to overnight, but they did really take 2 hours to cook. I have time on my hands, but not that kind of time. At least not most days. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't, so visualize this: they start out looking like exceptionally long grain brown rice, but darker than that. When they cook, they lighten dramatically in color and puff out so that they are shorter when they are finished. Add to that that they don't really "burst" (I can't think of a better term for this), and you end up with sort of a maggoty, beany kind of thing. But tastier than I think a maggoty bean would be. I hope never to try those for comparison.
So, they cooked and cooked and cooked. Then I mixed together a drained can of black beans; a can of diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onions; some chopped spinach, onions, and red pepper; a 1/2 tsp of crushed garlic; some frozen, chopped basil in olive oil (a relic from last summer's garden that was probably equivalent to 3T fresh basil); a tablespoon or so of olive oil; and a generous sprinkling of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I mixed in the cooked kamut, put it in a greased casserole, and topped it with a kind of "bread crumb" mixture of wheat bran, organic margarine, garlic salt and flaxseeds. I baked it for 45 minutes at 375.
And it was super delicious! It would probably be good with brown rice instead, but I did like the nutty taste and texture of the kamut. I'm sorry if the recipe is a little difficult to replicate. (If you are even interested in doing so. Frankly, I'm shocked you made it this far in my ramblings.) I generally sort of just throw together whatever happens to still be reasonably fresh in the pantry and fridge. I was also trying to stay lactose-free for the visiting lactard, but it would have definitely been even better with some mozzarella cheese either incorporated or melted on top.
I've been enjoying experimenting with the new grains. I'm a bit of a fiber/whole-grain addict (as you may have noticed) and it has been nice to expand my horizons a little bit more.

1 comment:

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Mmmmmm...a maggoty bean? Who *wouldn't* want to share that with someone special?