there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Lambikins

I have totally fallen in love with my new slippers. So desperate and all-consuming is this love that when I change from jeans to pajama pants, I won't take them off. I just jam them through the leg holes.

I was thinking about my slippers (sadly, this occupies at least 15% of my time) and how they so quickly have become one of my favorite things. This lead me to thinking about the other items that I find completely indispensible, the ones I can hardly imagine my life without.
Top 3 (in no particular order, since trying to choose which one was my absolute favorite caused severe mental anguish):
  1. The slippers. Pure sheepskin joy.
  2. Our wool mattress. 3 inch thick wool batting encased in cotton canvas which we hav on top of our regular mattress. My back feels at least 85% better since we got this last year. And the wool's natural temperature regulating properties have kept me both cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
  3. My Reisenthel market basket. I use this basket all the time. It is of course perfect for both the farmer's market and the grocery store. But the two things I love it for are library books (it holds 55 lbs which is at least how much the picture books weigh every week) and for taking baked goods/casseroles to potlucks. It's lightweight, until I fill it with junk, but nice and wide and deep for holding everything. I used to use all those canvas tote bags people are always giving us for free, and while those were economical, they were not good at keeping macaroni and cheese level.

So there you have it. If I were Oprah, I would give each of you one of each for your very own. Then you would squeal and clap and adore me, read everything I suggest and worship all my gurus. But as appealing as that may be, I just can't afford it. I'll let you try mine if you ask nicely though.

2 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

But what's your reading club choice for February? I refuse to search for culture on my own and look to you to force feed it to me. Help me, Hott Mama, you're my only hope.

Amanda said...

i agree! i want a book of the month selection! guide me, hott mama!