there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, February 21, 2008

I've taken a turn

And it's not for the better. Some time in the last week, February totally caught up with me. I had been doing so well this winter avoiding those seasonal blues. I even survived Jeremy's absence really well. I didn't even have one breakdown. All that fell apart somewhere around last Friday. Since then
  • I pitched that hissy fit when things weren't going my way during Dance Dance Revolution. Behavior level: 5 years old.
  • I had a phone conversation on Saturday that really pissed me off. Behavior level: very angry 31 year old.
  • I tried to go out by myself on Sunday but couldn't think of anything to do. I really wanted to go for a walk in the woods but everything here is covered in a sheet of ice. So I was settling for going to the town sand pile for a bucket of sand. Woo-hoo. I said something self-deprecating which was reinforced by Mr. Jeremy. This resulted in my bursting into tears, slamming the bedroom door and throwing myself across the bed sobbing. Behavior level: 15 years old.
  • I have also become so bone cold, I just can't shake it. At the same time I'm cursing high oil prices and putting on a hat in the goddamn house for chrissake, my children are mocking me by running around in their underpants/diapers. Behavior level: 90 years old.
  • I have reached the point of complete dissatisfaction. While I think if I have to stay in this apartment another minute I might strangle someone, the thought of going out into the cold to the same old activities we've been doing for months now is no more appealing. Behavior level: sulky preteen.

On the other hand, the sky is clear and blue today for a change. And last night as I drove to exercise class, the full moon was rising over the mountains and it was just breathtaking. I wished I had my camera. I just need to focus on the good and the beautiful. Because we all know that mud season is really no better than this.

3 comments:

Listmaker said...

nov used to be my least favorite month but now it is january.

i dig feb for many reasons. spring training, my birthday, brighter days, longer days, the feeling that spring is almost almost here.

but i don't live in the arctic circle like you guys do either.

princess cortney said...

i feel you with the february. just look at my blog entry. i believe i said the vacation is over. depressing. we don't have cold, but we have doldrums. and i am getting bored. at least we are not in it alone.

Hott Mama said...

Arctic circle is right. Wintry mix again today.
The first year we lived in VT, we were a little farther north, but the last snow was on May 16th! It doesn't usually happen, but I do have to prepare myself mentally for the possibility of 3 more months of winter weather.