there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Friday, February 8, 2008

The mystery hours

I love a good mystery. I love to puzzle it out while still enjoying a relatively light read. I do not, however, love the mystery genre overall. There are far too many Sue Graftons and James Pattersons out there writing absolute drivel for far too many pages.
My mother's side of the family is big into mysteries, and as far as I can tell not too particular in their choices. When Jeremy and I decided to move to Vermont, I came up first and stayed with my aunt for a month to find a job and a place to live. (We are not big risk takers in this house. We don't just pack up and go. Oh no.) Marian has a huge collection of mass market paperback mystery novels including one in which the lead character was named "Del Capslock"-- writer's block anyone? I also read a couple by Archer Mayor, our local coroner. Despite the fact that Brattleboro does have 6 Chinese restaurants for 12,000 people, I don't believe we have a Chinese Mafia as he suggests. (Yes, I know it's just fiction. But it isn't good fiction.) Reading all this nonsense really made me evaluate my standards. If you are looking for an intelligent, fun read here are some of my favorite authors:
  • Agatha Christie I was obsessed with her during my second pregnancy. Obsessed to the point that I was reading an average of 2 of her books per week. (This is where Sebastian gets it from, make no mistake.) Luckily, she wrote 70 or so and our library had most of them. The first one I read was Murder on the Orient Express and it was an absolute revelation. She is a very witty writer and her recurring characters, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, and Tuppence and Tommy, are very charming and likeable. And Agatha Christie was homeschooled. Bonus points for that.
  • Colin Dexter I can not begin to tell you how sad I am that there will never be any more Inspector Morse mysteries. Morse is an alcoholic, he's pushy, and yet I couldn't help but like him. Not just because he drove a Jaguar either. The last book made me cry. Dexter peppers his books with literary references, poetry and Wagner and has a knack for description that is not overly wordy. I appreciate that, especially when I find myself reading books by the insufferable Elizabeth George and wondering why I am.
  • Peter Lovesey He wrote a wonderful, but short, series featuring Victorian detectives Cribb and Thackeray which I loved. I am not a fan of his "Bertie" books, but he also wrote some stand alone suspense and mystery novels which are also fantastic.
  • Dorothy L. Sayers She's my new favorite. Her Lord Peter Wimsey novels are very smart and very funny. I often find myself laughing out loud and reading passages to Jeremy. The books are set in the 1920s, an interesting time for women and for the aristocracy in England. I'm only finishing my second one now, but I can see myself exhausting the library's supply within the year.

4 comments:

Hott Mama said...

Check out the publicity photo of Elizabeth George and you will see why Jeremy insists that her books stay title side up in our house.

Anonymous said...

i've never been a mystery fan. i barely read fiction of any kind at this point. i'm not sure why.

and you like people who drive Jaguars? yee-ikes!

Anonymous said...

Getting a little "holier than thou" aren't you? I actually read very few of those mass market mysteries.

I would highly recommend Josephine Tey and Nigaio (sp?) Marsh when you finish with Dorothy Sayers but what do I know?!

Mom

Hott Mama said...

2 things:

1. I used to covet Jaguars as a teenager. Jaguars and MGs. I no longer do, and in fact, I started changing my mind about them at 18 when I went to a car show and saw that they get about 5mpg.

2. Getting a little holier than thou? Mother, you should know that I always have been. And you will note that I said Marian's house was full of them, not yours. I love her dearly and am not trying to disparage her. Some of the things I read at her house were a catalyst for change in my tastes is all. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll check them out soon.