there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Skirting the issues

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned much knitting since the Wii arrived in our house. If you didn't, congratulations! You have a life! If you did, thank you for paying attention.
Anyway, I got that fluffy pink yarn at the thrift store and decided to make some armwarmers. I tried two different patterns, but neither of them were intended to be made with fluffy yarn. And frankly, there was a good reason for that. Instead of ripping it all out a second time, I thought, "Hey! This is a good opportunity to act on that doll idea I had." So, I decided to use the fluffy pinkness as the skirt, made a black ribbed body, and added some jauntily striped tights/legs. This is as far as I've gotten, and I have yet to figure out the whole head thing, but I know what I want to do with the arms. This will most assuredly be finished before the endless blanket. I haven't decided what I'll do with the doll when it is finished. It kind of depends on how it turns out, whether I will keep it, or give it to someone, or I could always reopen my Etsy shop. Sebastian suggested the name Sheena, and since her tights are pretty punk rock, I think it may stick.

And in other news, Sebastian's penchant for skirt and dress wearing had diminished dramatically in the last few months, only to reemerge in February. There was a short stint of "Ava the fairy" who wore the Tinkerbell costume I slaved over for Halloween. And now, post-sleepover, Mimiko from Panda! Go Panda! is back on the scene, somehow inspiring this outfit. Yes, my friends, that is an orange t-shirt with a red polka-dotted tank top and a blue paisley skirt. He insists this photo be titled "Mimiko and the Precious Pink Gem" because that is what he's holding. I really don't care if he wants to wear a skirt, but I did care that he thought he could go out without anything on his legs despite the balmy 16 degree temperature we were experiencing.

No comments: