there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pants project complete!

Ta da! The last pair of pants was finished at 8:55pm today. Sebastian will finally have both of his. I would like to point out that although his two pair look very similar, that was not intentional. When I made my fabric selections, I planned to make this pair for Dorian and the blue and green polka dotted ones for Sebastian. However, when I brought the fabric home, Dorian snatched the polka dots and Sebastian grabbed for the star bursts and the pears and the decisions were made with no fighting.

The nicest thing about doing this project has definitely been the kids' appreciation. They love their pants. Love them. As soon as I wash them, they put them on again. I told Sebastian yesterday how good that makes me feel. He told me that I made really good "sewed clothes."

He then proceeded to tell me that I should become a "business mama" and have a store for my sewed clothes. I told him I appreciated his faith in my abilities, but that I would not be interested. "Why not?" he asked. "You could be rich." I had to explain that the amount of time this would take would take away from the time I have for him and his brother. This whole idea stems from an episode of the Berenstain Bears he watched in which the mother becomes a "business bear" by opening her own quilt shop. I think he was planning to ignore the fact that Brother and Sister bear took over a lot of the cleaning when Mama started her shop. I have enough to deal with without setting up a sweatshop and maintaining all my usual duties.

But it does feel really nice to have such a little cheerleader in my corner. I have to appreciate this now before Mom's homemade clothes lose their luster in the years to come.

No comments: