there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The purge continues

We've been trying really hard over the last year+ to get rid of all the stuff we don't use or don't need or have outgrown. Last April, we took a bunch of stuff to my mother-in-law's amazing permanent tag sale in the garage, and gave a lot to the thrift store and local drop in center. I always feel better about giving it straight to the drop in center since the people who need it get it for free, but they don't have a lot of room there for all that we have.

I have not yet tackled the clothing situation, but already this morning I have put together
  • 2 boxes for KidsPlayce
  • 1 box for the thrift store
  • 1 box for consignment
  • 1 HUGE box to take to the in-law's
  • 2 speakers and a TV (to be determined)
  • 1 box for the drop in center
  • 1 box for the Planet Aid container
  • 3 bags of garbage

It's a lot of stuff. A lot. And there will be lots of clothes, too, I'm sure. Maybe one or two more boxes.

And I feel really good about getting rid of it. It is a weight off my shoulders. It will certainly be a weight off my back if we ever move. That's an entire car load of stuff gone. (Well, once I drop it all off.)

Except...

I admit that I feel guilty about giving some of it away. I swore I would be ruthless, and I think I was for the most part. If we haven't used it, haven't thought about it, haven't made definite plans for its use, etc, it has to go. But... so much of this stuff was given to us as gifts. I would like to think that the people who gave it to us put some thought into the presents, and it seems a little heartless to give away/throw away their good intentions. It's not like we're disposing of handmade items, but still...

And for whatever dumb reason, the things I find the hardest to part with are the stuffed animals. Other toys that the kids have outgrown or don't play with don't bother me a bit. But I can remember who gave them each of those little buddies, and I remember when, for a perhaps brief time, it was the favorite. Today, though, I didn't let it stop me, so there is a very full box of stuffed friends who I hope will find appreciative owners.

What do you think? Would you care if someone got rid of something you gave them, even if they no longer had a use for it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the speakers that you mentioned are the 30 year old allegros, please don't bring them here. I'm afraid they'll find their way back into my house and I don't want them either.Although you could pick up $10 for them in the tag sale. Tough call.

Mum

princess cortney said...

i say get rid of it. i sometimes give people horrible gifts (on purpose) in hopes that the receiver will keep it for a long time time and have to keep answering embarassing questions about what i got them. so get rid of it!