there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Dark Ages of Cookery

I think I have some sad misconceptions about the modern world of cooking. Despite watching a multitude of cooking shows and owning a few cookbooks, I am obviously still in the Dark Ages of Cookery. I make most everything from scratch. I like to do it. I think it tastes better. (Feel free to disagree here.) I prefer not to pollute our bodies with unnecessary chemicals. It's probably cheaper. And not only to I make things from scratch, but with very few exceptions, everything I make is stirred by hand with a wooden spoon. I don't own a food processor, my blender is a piece of shit, and I don't really like to have lots of appliances all over the counters. That space is reserved for random crap that doesn't even belong in the kitchen. So I end up having to adjust recipes or substitute ingredients to make them work within my rigid, out-dated parameters.
I am currently mystified by Bob's Red Mill brand. I can stand behind their products. They are generally organic, or at least all natural. But their recipes! I was given three of their products for Xmas: Kamut Berries, Golden Flaxseed, and Amaranth. I managed to horrify the children with the amaranth, which is much like grits and therefore repellent to children north of the Mason Dixon line. Jeremy and I liked what I made, which was basically just the grain made with some chicken bouillon and veggies and cheese. I haven't yet embarked on using the kamut berries since they require both overnight soaking and one and a half hours to cook. But wait, there's more... the recipe on the kamut is for a fruit salad. Essentially they are asking you to soak organic grains overnight, cook them for and hour and a half, let them cool and then smother them in Cool Whip, instant vanilla pudding and canned pineapple. Not organic whipped cream. Not homemade vanilla pudding. Not a fresh pineapple. Cool whip and instant pudding and canned fruit. Why even bother with the organic grain from prehistory?
Which brings me to today. I decided to make the 3 seed bread from the package of golden flaxseed to bring to a potluck dinner this evening. I get all the ingredients out of the cupboard, get my mixing bowls and trusty wooden spoon, tie on my apron. I read the directions. "Add ingredients to bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer and select the basic bread cycle." Are you kidding me? I am the bread machine. At least I have made enough bread in the past to have some clue what I'm doing. But why?! Am I the only one who actually enjoys kneading her own bread? Where's the fun in dumping everything into a contraption and coming back 2 hours later to a square loaf?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny I was just thinking about that stuff today and wondering if you had tried any of it yet. Did you make the bread afterall?

Diane

Hott Mama said...

I did make the bread and everyone loved it. Even the kids. Even the kids who weren't mine. And it was chockful of flax, poppy and sunflower seeds so that says something.