there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Monday, January 14, 2008

What is wrong with me?

Before you answer that, here's why I ask.
Our library had a copy of "The Road to Avonlea" the first season on DVD. Of course, I snatched it up because I love to find out how much I really don't like the things I loved when I was younger. I only watched the first episode so far, and it is holding up better than I expected.
The question is: Why, when I watch or read things based on this particular period in history (modern enough not to be totally primitive, but not modern enough to have many conveniences), do I always decide that that is how I should be living? Do I know how much work that life really was? Ummm, yes. Do I know how much I hate sewing things by hand, or on a sewing machine for that matter? Yes again. Do I know how lazy I am? Yes indeed.
So why am I so drawn to this way of life?
I'm sure it is partly that I would love to send my kids out of the house so they could play in the forest and fields all day, and just show up when they are tired and hungry and filthy dirty, without having to worry about all the stuff people make you worry about. (Yes, even here in bucolic Vermont.) And I really do love to garden and cook things from scratch. But I wouldn't like trying to maintain a woodstove at a constant temperature to do it.
Obviously, my best compromise will be to find a house with all the mod-cons that also has enough property to enjoy. If only we could afford that...

No comments: