there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Monday, January 7, 2008

What do you think of this?

Here's what bugs me about our local library: they don't alphabetize the children's picture books. They are minimally alphabetized by the first letter of the author's last name. So not only are all the Lauren Child books not together, they certainly are not alphabetized by title. The librarians complain that it is too hard what with all the kids browsing through. Laziness, I say! How am I to teach my kids how a library is supposed to work if they don't do their part? When I'm trying to find a specific book, it's a real hassle to have to look through the entire section. I even overheard the librarians advising the new children's librarian up in Chester that this scheme was a great idea.
Am I just too anal? Do I need to lighten up? Or do these people need to get their shit in one sock as my aunt Marian is wont to say?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right on. I hate that system and those people are certainly not too busy - plus they have volunteers, plus the Vernon library has an immaculately kept collection and it's not much smaller plus it's a library for christ's sake! isn't that tho whole point of it, that things are organized and easy to find? all the librarians and former library workers i know, and me myself, were all anal about order and keeping things in their places so they either need to hire new workers who fit the bill or get on the stick. it's an absolute abomination.

princess cortney said...

write a letter. get real mad. i agree with you, but it is funny to get so mad about it. you know what i get so mad about...when i go to dump the cat litter (a gross job in and of itself) and all the plastic bags are wadded in eachother. this sounds like a harmless space saving idea, right. noooooo. i have to dig out a bag, and then look for one with no holes so litter doesn't spill onto the floor. it is just on more step in what could be an easy process. so i get your point. i will write a letter to dust. you write a letter to bratt library. we'll make waves. it will be great!
xoxo

Listmaker said...

when i worked at erol's video as a 16-year-old, it was store policy to not bother alphabetizing the kids' section.

Hott Mama said...

I had totally forgotten about Erol's. Thank you for the little nostalgia trip.
Our video store actually does alphabetize the children's section. This makes me very happy.
Those people probably weren't even trained in library science, but they know their alphabet and how to use it. Go First Run!