there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Did Juno I saw this movie today?

Well, I have officially used up my allotment of movie theater visits for 2008 in the first week of the year. But that's okay, it was worth it.
Christine and I went to see Juno this afternoon. I was a little afraid to go to this movie simply because of the whole hype cloud hovering over it. I read a couple of rave reviews which quoted the dialogue and I was horrified. I liked the idea of this movie but I was not sure the execution was going to be very good. So, at least I had appropriately lowered my expectations.
The beginning of the movie seemed to justify my worst fears. Overly snappy dialogue was flowing freely. I knew I was not going to like this Juno character at all. And I still don't, but I did get used to her as time went on. Of course, Michael Cera and Jason Bateman were the real stars. Cera's delivery made the lines much more believable. I think he could pull any movie out of the toilet. Despite the overwrought, overthought dialogue, I found the basic reactions and feelings expressed pretty realistic.
Seeing this movie in a theater mostly populated by teenagers reminded me of when Jeremy and I went to see Mean Girls on our 4th anniversary teen date. The adults did more laughing because the teens don't have enough distance from their current situations to see the humor inherent therein. Not that I think the youngsters necessarily liked these movies less, but the oldsters have a different level of appreciation.
I liked Kimya Dawson's choices for the soundtrack. I love me some Moldy Peaches and a couple of my favorite songs made appearances, including my favorite Belle and Sebastian song.
Overall, it was an updated John Hughes movie and I love John Hughes movies. But I just liked Juno. Maybe I have too much distance.

2 comments:

Listmaker said...

i had almost the exact same thoughts about the movie.

princess cortney said...

i loved this movie, and can not wait to own it. get out of here with those negative words. it was one of the most original movies about teen pregnancy i have seen since that one with molly ringwald from the 80's. george michael, and the pork sword scene. fabulous.
cl