there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Den of iniquity

I would not wish our family as neighbors on anyone. After all, we do let our 2 year old play a full drum set (only between 10am and 7pm, though-- we aren't sadistic).
Even so, our upstairs neighbors make me insane. They don't really make much noise until approximately 10 minutes before I want to go to bed. Suddenly, at 10:30pm, it becomes time for furniture moving, stomping up and down the stairs, or pencil dropping. They either have the rolliest pencils or slanted surfaces to place them on, because this happens a lot.
I became concerned a while back that they had some sort of meth problem as there seems to be someone awake up there at all times. And one of the guys who is a frequent overnight visitor has only one tooth on the top row, rotten of course. I'm still not ruling out controlled substances, but new evidence has come to light recently which points in 2 other unsavory directions.
  1. While we were all out shoveling the abundance of snow, I discovered that they all chew tobacco. Gross.
  2. The most recent batch of recycling featured no less than 3 cases worth of Mountain Dew cans. Insomnia explained.

So, tonight as we were getting the kids out of the tub, a knock came at the door. It was a cop. My first thought was that we were not being that loud. Apparently, it wasn't to do with us; he was looking for another cop who was supposed to be in our apartment and most decidedly was not. This piqued my interest and after an eternity of pajama time, I looked outside to see not only 2 police cars, but an ambulance. What could this be?! OD? Suicide? (I know I'm sick--shut up.)

And what was it? I'll never know because it wasn't happening upstairs after all, damn it. It must have been across the street. This has been one disappointing day.

2 comments:

jamie said...

you need my father around for things like this. he'd have another interesting theory on this tout de suite. also on the pencil thing, as the owner of a dog and cat, i can say that we often have things being knocked/batted onto the floor at all hours that then end up rolling around for a while.

Hott Mama said...

I'm sure his theory would involve either serial killing or espionage. In either case, I wouldn't want to know.